Tuesday 24 July 2012

Mothering Bretton

I mother you from afar. Your touch is non-existent, your scent foreign to my senses. I have no idea if the picture in my mind of what you look like is accurate. Everything about you is a guess and a wish.

I mother you from afar, because in this world, you do not exist. You live only in my dreams and those vanish in the morning light. I dream of blonde curls and big blue eyes, dimples on your cheeks and at the top of your little round bum. Grubby hands and ripped jeans. Toys on your bedroom floor and books scattered across your bed. Pulling your little sisters hair and teasing the dog. Wanting to tag along with your older brothers but at 11, not quite old enough to be in their league. You dream of the day you can drive the car, like Brady. You pluck the guitar and wish you could play, like Brodie.

I mother you from afar because on the day you left, I made a promise that I would still be your mother. It may seem strange to others but the simplest act brings comfort to my soul. The chocolate cake with your name on it waits on the kitchen table for all of us to gather and sing your song. You are not here to enjoy the taste but we hope you are here to enjoy the  melody.

I mother you from afar to hold the ache in my heart at bay. Somehow, the act of mothering you makes this lonely journey a worthwhile process. My gut twists with envy when I hear another mother scold her young son for getting dirty or talking back. I wish, even just for a moment, to see you, to hold you and to hear your voice; too old to be a baby anymore but still young enough to fit into my arms. I would give anything for that chance.

I mother you from afar because it keeps me alive, day after day. They say that time heals the hurt of loss, that we soon forget and move on. But that hasn't happened yet Bretton. I remember every moment of our journey together and I know I will never, ever forget what you have taught us and the gifts you have provided.

I mother you from afar because I cannot mother you any other way. It is the least I can do and the most I can do. I am grateful for the support, the space and the time offered to me to be your mother, if only for a moment in time and a lifetime of wonder.

I mother you from afar now, with the hope that one day, I will mother you in person.

*In loving memory of Bretton-Elijah Lucas, born still on Tuesday, March 25th, 1996 @ 2:20 a.m. into the arms of his loving family. Written on the eve of Bretton's 12th birthday, March 24th, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment